Monday, May 16, 2011

A Few Things From The Physical FX Dept.



First, nearly all of "Blood of Ohma" is being shot 'In Camera' - meaning, what you see is what we shot, with no digital effects added. It's an 'old school' process that means if it's not already stored in our garage, we have to either find it, or build it.

There are going to be a few shots in which Dustin Austin is going to create some things I can't actually film without risk to our cast, crew and equipment. But they are truly special effects shots, and you'll know them when you see them.

The rest of the movie though - every other fucked up thing I show you - has to be aquired or created. And we have a few challenges in "Blood of Ohma".

"Lucky"
If you're following along on my Facebook, the lamenting about this 'Dead Horse' has been on going.

The story requires that I have one. Full on, life size and shootable in all three dimensions. I also need it's head separate, and it's gotta look as much like "Lucky" there as you guy's will believe. I've been working on this since I got the script. I thought I had the solution 'handled' in an E-bay auction I lost for this:


It was a prop used in the "Narnia" films. I figured most of the work is done, and I could fill the rest in myself. Well, the prop house wouldn't budge on their $600 price tag, and I couldn't spend more than $450. So... we went literally back to the 'Drawing Board' and the Physical FX team came up with a way to build one - head and all - within budget.

In the opening of the movie, we are need of original 'Ohma' Statue Figures. These we're sculpting ourselves, because I just couldn't find the right 'look' for the figures. The one's I've found are either very expensive artist reproductions, or they look like children's toys.


Finally, there's some challenges specific to the 'Monster' itself. I'm not going to ruin the fun by showing you "Ohma" himself, but here's a couple of shots of pieces we're in the process of building.


It's exactly what you think it is.


This is a fully articulated 'Monster Hand'. It'll be painted to match the creature.

There's a bunch more, so stay tuned. We're really just getting started.

- PG

No comments:

Post a Comment