Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Few Things About Mark Cray


Before you decide to completely skip over this blog for the one about Rachel Porter's tits, relax. It's not going to be some kind of fan-boy, 'thank-god-i-got-him-for-about 1/100th-of-what-he's-worth' sort of rave. This isn't a curl up to kiss his ass kind of session.

For that, you can visit Marie's Play Place whenever you feel like it.


I came across Mark Cray as a judge of the 'Acting Competition' at the 2008 Indie Gathering in Cleveland, OH. I'm not exactly sure how I ended up a judge, but Mark brought a monologue that left me with only one thought: "If I can ever afford him, I'm totally casting that guy in something."

I still can't afford him.

But by the grace of the 'Movie Gods' so many of us in 'indie' talk about, he was cast in a couple of projects I'm directing.

"Blood of Ohma" the most recent, and for obvious reasons, fresh in my mind.


We made it to the expectation of an actor showing up with the script already in his head by 2005, so that's expected at this level.

And by 'this level', I'm not forgetting the fact that GMD Films makes ultra low budget, goofy stories and has turned self deprication into an art form. I just mean, we've been making films long enough now that we expect those we hire to bring the 'basics' of the job.

What isn't expected, it the collaboration and inspiration that comes along with Mark showing up on set. This dude takes a comprehensive understanding of character and pace and turns out a performance of a script that makes you wish you wrote it that good.

And I didn't even write it.

- PG

No comments:

Post a Comment